[ale] RealAudio problems

aesop aesop at persist.paradise.net
Wed Oct 2 03:21:05 EDT 1996

On Sat, 28 Sep 1996, Bob's Bulk mail wrote:

> I've not been able to get RealAudio to work and welcome advice.
>
> I installed version 2.0 Beta 4 and created the mime and mailcap files in
> my home dir.
>
> When I do their test:
>
> 	raplayer welcome.ram
>
> The player image comes up and says it's playing but nothing happens
> (except that the clip title, etc is displayed).
>
> As far as I can tell I have the VoxPlayer installed.
>
> cat /dev/sndstat:
>
> 	Sound Driver:2.90-2 (Thu May 11 17:16:15 EDT 1995 root at cavu.com)
> 	Config options: 31c02
>
> 	Installed drivers:
> 	Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
> 	Type 2: SoundBlaster
> 	Type 6: SoundBlaster16

snip

output from my /dev/sndstat

VoxWare Sound Driver:3.0.1-950812 (Sat Sep 14 11:53:30 EDT 1996 root,
Linux persist 1.2.13 #10 Sat Sep 14 02:33:49 EDT 1996 i486)
Config options: 350002

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: SoundBlaster

Granted, I have 3.0.1 - but I would think the 2.0 beta 4 would have a
similar message.  Everything else sounds right.  You may want to give
3.0.1 a try.  Search for VoxWare or USS (Unix Sound System is it's new name).

> Bob Toxen
> bob at cavu.com
> transam at cavu.com [ALE]
> http://www.mindspring.com/~cavu
> Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.
> "Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus" (We came, we saw, we hacked)

Dogbert: Has your electronic mail system made you more efficient?
Dilbert: In a way... Now I'm getting ignored at the speed of light.
						-- Scott Adams