[ale] Questions for programmers.

Joshua Marinacci ccastma at prism.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 1 23:43:12 EDT 1996

I'm back at work on my GUI (that's what immense boredom does to you) and
in my quest for new features I've got a few questions:

Has anyone worked with threads?  Do I need kernel threads to insure that
only the current thread is blocked when I do I/O and not the whole
process?  Does anyone recommend a particular package?  Does it work with
C++ as well.

Is there anyway to load code dynamically (sort of like a plugin for
photoshop)?  I won't know what's in the code but I'll know the name of
certain functions in it.  I'm playing around with the idea of a sort of
mini-opendoc for a drawing program.  Will this dynamic code loading work
with C++ as well.

Is there a program that will convert man pages into html?

Where can I get a fast html parser?  I don't need to render pictures or
java applets, I just want to parse html into headers, links, paragraphs,
and such.

Is there a way to set up the mouse so that when an event happens (move or
click) that the mouse calls my code, rather than me calling select on a
mouse filedescriptor.  I'm thinking of some kind of a callback function
that is tied to the mouse interrupt.  (This won't work in X obviously).

How do I get the load average inside a program?

If anyone is interested in what I'm doing then talk to me after our next
ALE meeting.

Thanks guys.
	- Joshy

--
In the trees our sons stand naked                             Joshua Marinacci
Through the walls our daughters cry                    a CS major who can cook
See their tears in the rainfall.                      ccastma at prism.gatech.edu
 - U2                                   http://acmew.gatech.edu:65000/~gt4252a