[ale] I'm making errors with LILO

tfreeman tfreeman at vnet.net
Mon May 20 10:03:13 EDT 1996

I'm doing something grossly wrong here, and I hope somebody recognizes
what I'm doing wrong. I made some hardware changes on my Linux/Windows
box, and now lilo makes it to "LI" and hangs. I can still boot from a
backup emergency floppy, but that is a little silly.

I'm running the Caldera Desktop, and all worked well with Linux installed
on a 512Meg SCSI disk, which I swapped out for a 2.1 gig SCSI. Windows is
installed on a 600+ meg drive separate from the linux drive. I had
configured the system so that Windows/DOS boots normally from the hard
drive, and used a floppy with LILO installed to get into Linux.

When I changed the Linux hard disk, I was forced to upgrade the Future
Domain Controller ROM, and re-address both of the hard disks.

Once the new ROM was installed, Linux installed to the 2.1 gig drive like
a dream - the only problem is with LILO. (Well, Lilo and with me still
messing around where I'm not all that knowledgeable 8-)). The new disk is
partitioned as a 2gig file system with the balance used for swap (That is
enough disk that I can afford to be generous cann't I?)

Is the problem that LILO is a real-mode program, and simply can't deal
with a 2 gig partition? Or am I overlooking something more obvious? I
would prefer to stick with a floppy oriented boot method until I can get
the hardware to give Linux a home of its own.

Thanks for any/all ideas and or working solutions.