[ale] Dynamic IP addr problems?

John M. Mills jmills at siberia.gtri.gatech.edu
Mon May 6 08:46:38 EDT 1996

zot I have been told by people that choosing a high IP in the allocated set
zot under pppd will usually force the IP to work (it is not often
zot dynamically assigned).

zot You can do this in the pppd options.

This thread may be mutating a bit.  To work G.I.T.'s PPP port, I set those
IP addresses which were to be dynamically assigned to 0.0.0.0.  Masks were
guessed to set the significant bits '1' and appear to have been guessed OK.
These changes were in rc.inet1.  I didn't try for any overriding in the
pppd options.  (I did create two flavors of pppd options, depending on
whether I was starting diald, and soft link the correct flavor.)

The part of my setup which took a few stumbles was getting the SLIP link
in place by which diald is notified to bring up the link.  I'm no expert,
but it seems to work, now, and the bruised toes have almost healed.
John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
   Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0853
        Phone contacts: 770.528.3258 (voice), 770.528.7083 (FAX)
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -Pop. Mechanics,'49

Regards --jmm--