[ale] Re: [als] TIme to upgrade...

John M. Mills jmills at siberia.gtri.gatech.edu
Fri Mar 15 08:36:50 EST 1996

> Now I want to go ELF, [...] only on 2.5.8 now (don't laugh!).
Well, I just built an a.out image of 1.2.13, so y'all can laugh
now.

>So what is the current version of InfoMagic date,
Nov95, as Mike said.

> ... does it have a good ELF slackware set?
It also has Red Hat, both with 1.2.13.  Notes say you must do a 'ground-up'
installation either way, for changeover to ELF.  I'm just getting my pain-
threshold up a bit, first.

I'm considering trying Red Hat after (like you) several satisfactory rounds
of Slackware. FUD ('Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt') may keep me with
Slackware, esp. since Mike W. said it dropped in basically OK.

> Is JAVA on it?
Don't know.

>I heard MicroAge hsells them for 15$, any other suggestions?
I got it at MicroCenter for $16.95+tax.  Don't know if GIM bothered to
stock it, but MicroCenter had _lots_ of copies.  I took it as a good sign
for Linux and the market.

I had some trouble unpacking the source *.tgz for a couple of 1.2.13 kernels,
and finally ftp'd from siwenna.  Has anyone else had this experience?

Regards --jmm--

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
   Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0853
        Phone contacts: 770.528.3258 (voice), 770.528.7083 (FAX)
          "Lies, damned lies, statistics, and simulations."