[ale] ISDN???

Marc Torres marct at mindpsring.com
Fri Mar 15 07:45:19 EST 1996

> From:          Unix Guru Dude <geof at denali.is.net>
> Subject:       Re: [ale] ISDN???
> To:            mark.reed at sware.com (Mark J. Reed)
> Date:          Fri, 15 Mar 1996 06:50:38 -0500 (EST)
> Cc:            ale at cc.gatech.edu (ale)

> }
> }Unix Guru Dude <geof at denali.is.net> writes:
> }\ }
> }\ }  4. Does MindSpring's ISDN use data compression, or am I limited to just
> }\ }     64 kbps?  (I could probably check their web page...)
> }\
> }\ What the hell you want compression for at 64K!?!?!?!  Man some people want
> }\ everything!!! :)
> }
> }Everyone's talking about 64K.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but can't
> }you go up to 128K data if you're not using the other channel for voice
> }at the same time?

If I recall from when Mindspring was at ALE last year,
their statement was "All of our ports are set to 115K,
ISDN or analog"  so whatever advantage you get out of
compression is fine up to 115K.

As for 128K, the way ISDN works it takes 'two telephone
calls' to get a 128K connection, then the two B channels
are 'bonded'.  Well my understanding of the problems with
this are #1) most of the existing bonding protocols are
currently not compatiable and #2) both calls going thru
the hunt group have to wind up on the same physical ISDN
terminal server so they can be bonded.

Multilink PPP does work, but AFAIK dosn't address #2.
The solution for a ISP is to give you a private number
to dialin to so you are always going to get the same
two ports on the ISDN termserver.

Marc Torres