[ale] syquest

William Mahavier wsm at mathcs.emory.edu
Tue Mar 12 14:44:19 EST 1996

>Hmm. looks like the Syquest drives have really gotten better. How much to
>the syquest dries cost now? I was going to get a zip drive but it sounds
>like the syquest beats it hands down. If it doesn't cost much more that is.

Many thank to all who responded to my request for info about scsi
backup devices. I did a little shopping since I posted. Best buys
has the Syquest ez-135 scsi-2 for $299, the zip for $199, and they
have no disks in stock. I have an ad from Micro-center in Marietta
that listed the EZ-135 for $239, $19.95, but this was a sale price
and the sale ended 3/10. I have a catalogue from PC MALL that lists
the EZ135 at $239 and cartridges for $19.95. Their shipping is $7
for the first 7 pounds and $1/pound after that and is overnight
delivery. pcmallsales at pc-mall.com or 1-800-555-mall.

For what it is worth, I bought an iomega parallel port tape backup
and it would not talk to my parallel port. I could not get their
tech support number to answer. I took it back and bought a Hewlett
Packard parallel port tape backup T1000E. It installed fine and
backed up about 350 megs and then aborted. Then I got it to backup
10 meg directories and it did that but in four trys a compare always
showed at least one bad copy. Then it refused to backup anything else,
giving a hardware incompatability error. I plan to take it back and
I am pretty well convinced to go with the syquest.

Thanks, Bill