[ale] compiling problems...

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 6 13:19:41 EST 1996

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Alfred Grahame Leach wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm brand new to Linux - just got it basically installed a few days ago
> (minus network, printing, CDROM, etc. - but at least I've got X going...)

Getting X going is usually the hardest part for most people.  Glad you
got that done!

> The question is this:
> When I first tried to compile, I got errors because /usr/include/linux
> did not exist.  I re-installed the development environment, and said yes
> to *every* option to install everything (which I hadn't done the first
> time).  Now, there's a link from /usr/include/linux to
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux but this destination directory doesn't
> exist.  In particular, there is no /usr/src/linux.  Can anybody tell me
> what I'm doing wrong???  Thanks!

To fix this, you need to compile your own kernel (/usr/include/linux is
made when you compile a kernel).  Compiling your own is a good idea
anyway--you can included only those drivers you need (do them as modules
if you're especially adventuresome ;-) and get a smaller kernel.

Basically, just do the following.

1.  su - root (not sure if this is necessary--I usually do everything as
root, but that's often frowned upon ;-)
2.  cd /usr/src/linux
3.  make config
4.  make dep
5.  make clean
6.  make zImage
7.  cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /foo (where foo is whatever
you want to call the kernel)
8.  vi /etc/lilo.conf (change it to include the new /foo kernel)
9.  lilo
10.  shutdown -r now

have fun,
chris