[ale] /etc/issue and /etc/motd madness

Derek S. Ray lorimer at alliance.net
Tue Mar 5 12:18:49 EST 1996

Dyson, Mark         1Lt   ENEB mumbled incoherently:

> See, I had an information banner in /etc/issue that displayed prior to
> login.  Typical government disclaimer/warning that I have to put in
> there.  The new kernal replaced it with the default 'Welcome to Linux
> 1.2.13' message.  I shrugged, and replaced it with the banner again.
>  Rebooted.  Back to the default.  I checked, and /etc/motd is rewritten
> at every boot, as well.  Superficial nosing through the (to me) obvious
> config files turned up nothing that would be overwriting those files on
> boot-up.  Buh?

By default, there is a pair of lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.S that overwrites
/etc/issue and /etc/motd every boot.  They're down near the end of the
file.  Comment those out and it ought to work fine.

--
   finger for PGP key -*- lorimer at alliance.net -*- Vote Brain/Pinky in '96!
     Key fingerprint =  D1 6E A2 69 CF 60 C6 90  3D 34 BE 05 87 B8 12 C8