[ale] Backing up Win 95 on Linux

Dave Kennedy davek at melupl.melita.com
Wed Jun 19 16:12:06 EDT 1996

Steven A. Duchene writes ...
>       Not sure what gtar, winsock, and etc have to do with backing up
>       a Win-95 system over a network to a Linux box. All that is needed
>       is the smbfs module for one of the later kernels. This lets you
>       mount a shared drive from a WfW, Win-95, or Win-NT machine to a
>       Linux box. Then you can back up files to your tape drive on the
>       Linux machine. I don't think the Win-95 machine would need any
>       extra software to do this.

Thanks for the pointers.  Here's what worked:

    1. Get samba-1.9.15p8 (latest version) -
       ftp://ftp.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/system/Network/samba/
    2. Compiled and installed on Linux box according to docs
    3. Added "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and printer
       sharing for Microsoft Networks" under Networks on '95 box
    4. This adds a new tab to objects in "My Computer" called
       "Sharing" which I set to share as "C"
    5. I tweaked Samba's smbtar shell script to point to smbclient
    6. Ran 'smbtar -s dave -x C -t /dev/tape-device'

The key software here is the new version of samba.  1.9.13 did not
have the smbtar support built in.  It had to be added as a patch.  The
binary distribution with the 3.0.x Slackware release is 1.9.13.

This was all done on a 1.2.13 ELF kernel.  Smbfs is available in later
kernels (1.3.15 and up), but I am waiting for the 2.0.x distributions
to come available.  The smbfs looks like a cleaner solution and I will
switch to it when I upgrade.

Key points:
    1. Win '95 can act as a SMB server
    2. Samba 1.9.15p8 has tar support built in

Thanks for the pointers, everyone!

davek

PS - the main Samba web page is: http://lake.canberra.edu.au/pub/samba/

--