[ale] Re:

Andy dread at atlcom.net
Wed Jun 19 09:17:21 EDT 1996

Matthew Avery wrote:

> Ah, and therein lies the problem:
>
> }I have IDE cdroms on my system at home and at work.  If I
> }happen to hit the eject button before unmounting the cdrom
> }successive umount commands give me a device busy error.
> }I can't figure out how to force it to unmount so I end up
> }rebooting eventually.
>
> >I've assumed that there is a new feature the later kernels.  That is, when
> >I have a cdrom mounted, my eject button does not eject.  Once I unmount it,
> >then it works.  Just an option, kernel upgrade????   Anyway, as everyone
> >knows, I haven't read all the docs with the new kernels, but those I have
> >read, I haven't seen any mention of this.  Anyone else experience this?
>
> If I hit the eject button the cdrom does not eject but the
> device is now busy and won't allow me to unmount the cdrom.
> Do I have to somehow clear that eject command before I can
> unmount the cdrom or can I do something else to unmount the
> cdrom?  What happens on your system if you hit the eject button
> before unmounting the cdrom?  Does umount still work for you?
>
> -Matt-

On my system, if I press eject before unmounting the cdrom then nothing happens.
it just doesn't eject. I can still unmount it after pressing the button then it will eject
if i press the button again. I have aliases for mounting and unmounting the cdrom
but I still manually press the button to eject after umount.

				../andy