[ale] Backing up Win 95 on Linux

Steven A. Duchene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Tue Jun 11 18:30:55 EDT 1996

> On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Dave Kennedy wrote:
>
> > How can I backup a Win 95 system connected to a Linux box via
> > TCP/IP?  I've got a nice big tape on the Linux box that I would
> > like to use with '95, but '95 doesn't support NFS.  Any ideas?

Curt Smith replied:
> - Run Samba on your linux box.
> - Get gtar for dos.  The last time I fooled with gtar for DOS it had
>   a built in tcp stack to a pktdrv->NIC which then spoke TCP to the Unix
>   host rshd, which ran dd to the local tape device.   Hopefully Win95
>   supports adding pktdrv INT to it's network config stuff.  Else run
>   pktmux + ndis shim to fool Win95??
>
>   Or the newest gtar speeks winsock 1.1 and runs in a DOS box under
>   win 95 via Winsock and not built in Wattcp stack??
>
> You'll have to get gtar and have a look.
>
> Also check out; alt.winsock, those folks may know of a free/shareware
> winsock windows app that does tar + winsock + dd to a remote Unix device?

	Not sure what gtar, winsock, and etc have to do with backing up
	a Win-95 system over a network to a Linux box. All that is needed
	is the smbfs module for one of the later kernels. This lets you
	mount a shared drive from a WfW, Win-95, or Win-NT machine to a
	Linux box. Then you can back up files to your tape drive on the
	Linux machine. I don't think the Win-95 machine would need any
	extra software to do this.

--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		   X/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.