[ale] Re: kernel compiling and slow machines

Randy Dunlap rdunlap at atlanta.nsc.com
Thu Jul 18 09:02:00 EDT 1996

Steven A. DuChene   Linux Weenie!  wrote:

|Just my 2 cents... (wish my keyboard had a cents sign key, anyone know how
|to enter an ASCII character in vi that is not necessarily on your keyboard?)

You probably know this, but VI allows entering (control)
characters by (while in input mode) pressing Ctrl-V and then a key
or key combination (like Ctrl-[ for ASCII ESCape; to see what this
does, take '[' = hex 5b, apply Ctrl = strip away the top 3 bits in
the byte, i.e., ignore the hex e0 bits and use only the hex 1f bits,
so you get hex 1b from 5b).  However, this does help any with entering
characters above 20 hex that are not on the keyboard.

BTW, I don't believe the cents sign is an ASCII character.
If it were, I believe that our keyboards would have it.
Maybe you would like to get the ASCII character set changed?  8;)

~Randy