[ale] Video Wars

James N McClatchey safn2!jnm at www.atlanta.net
Wed Jul 17 08:34:02 EDT 1996

> > I upgraded my video card recently to Stealth64 Video Vram. So far I
> > have been unable to get it to work properly. I get a stable
>
> 	I have a Stealth64 2MB VRAM ( PCI ) with the 964 chipset. If you
> have that card, use the "bt485" and "icd2061a" options. If  you do not
> have the 964, simply look in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards and find your card.
> It should then tell you what your setting should be. Then run "xf86config."

I got this working right last night. Turned out the key was an option:
"slow_vram". Sounds kinda bad but it works now. I have the 968 chip.
Thanks for the help.

Incidentally, I wonder what the pros and cons of supplying various options
in XFConfig versus allowing the server to probe for the values? Really,
the probe finds nearly all the information; why not just leave it out
of the config file?

Regards - Jim
--
James N. McClatchey P.E. (Southern Aluminum Finishing Co, Atlanta, GA, USA)
Architectural Aluminum. Custom Fabrication. Paint, Powder Coating, Anodizing