[ale] Programmatic loading & interrogation of so's

Omar Loggiodice ologgio at vrainn.com
Mon Aug 26 14:27:56 EDT 1996

Joe Knapka Writes :
:
:Hello, ALE'rs.
:

:DLLhandle DosLoadModule(char* mod_name);
:

:void* DosQueryDLLEntryPoint(DLLhandle dll,char* fn_name);
:
:I want to know (a) can this currently be done under Linux (I kind of
:suspect not); (b) if so, how; and (c) if not, how much work would be
:involved to add such capability? And to which forum would y'all suggest
:I direct further inquiries?
:
:Thanks for any pointers (or references :-)
:
:-- Joe
:

Hi Joe,

   It is avaliable in linux, and very easy to use. I posted in this list
   about using this type of interface (under Linux) to create dynamically
   loadable classes/objects (using the prototype pattern in Gamma's book).
   The subject was something like "Object databases..interpreters".

   In any case, the  functions you want are called dlopen(), dlclose() and
   dlsym(). dlopen creates a handle for a shared library, dlsym gives you the
   address of specific a symbol..etc. See dlopen(3)....

   Read the other message I posted, it also talks about having a "registry"
   that contains information about the available dynamic loadable objects.

            /   __  __  __  - __  __ / - _  __  ologgio at vrainn.com
  Omar R.  /__ /_/ /_/ /_/ / /_/ /_/ / /_  /-_  CIS: 74040,1543
                  __/ __/
___C++/6_yrs____Virtual Reality/4_yrs____Vorl_____Linux(free)_______
Never forget either the "Big Picture" or the "Small Picture"...