[ale] NIS and NFS

Bryan E. Rank bryan at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 2 09:29:03 EDT 1996

I am also having the same problem as Al, and was wondering if anyone
else has gotten this to work.  I am also using RedHat (3.0.3), the only
difference in our problems seems to be that he dumps core, whereas if I
leave mine up long enough, I get rpctimeout messages.

When I run ypbind I get...

cleared entry for domain <the_correct_domain>: server 0.0.0.0, port 0
parsing config file
Trying entry: domainname <the_correct_domain> server <the_correct_server>

parsed domain name broadcast
cleared entry for domain <the_correct_domain>: server 0.0.0.0, port 0
broadcasting for domain <the_correct_domain>
received signal 2

...I have also set the domain name using domainname, and it matches
the one that I get by issuing the same command on the ypserver.

My /etc/yp.conf file looks like this...
domainname <domain_I_get_from"domainname"on_server> server <server_name>

...I can ping everything and my machine name is in the netgoup file on
the server.  The maps have been remade and the server is running
ypserve and ypbind.

The address of the server is in /etc/resolv.conf.

I have put nis in my /etc/host.conf file it reads...
order nis hosts
...I have tried reversing this order and putting multi on.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Bryan Rank