[ale] Epilogue: Raspian Screen Duplicating - How Hard Can It Be?

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Fri Jan 19 13:53:00 EST 2024

A quick epilogue: Apparently the most recent Raspian image comes with
this WayLand graphical interface in place of the more traditional X.

And apparently Wayland breaks a whole lot of china,

There is an option in raspi-config to revert back to X, and at that
point xrandr stuff "just works".

On 2024-01-01 20:18, Neal Rhodes via Ale wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  Fair enough on resolution.   Frankly, VGA
> resolution would be fine.   We're putting up big words.
>
> I plugged in the 2nd monitor again after dinner, and the xrandr
> --current now reports the 2nd HDMI as XWAYLAND2, not XWAYLAND1.
>
> I tried your suggestion regarding using the Screen Layout Editor, and
> indeed one can position the 2nd HDMI on top of the 1st.  Then what
> happens is IF you move a window on the first screen, it shows up on
> both.   UNTIL you let go of the mouse button, when it disappears.
>
> I did get the xrandr --output XWAYLAND2 --same-as XWAYLAND0 to run to
> completion with out errors, and got the same behavior.
>
> Rebooted, and the 2nd HDMI was back to XWAYLAND1.
>
> neal at raspberrypi:~ $ xrandr --output XWAYLAND1 --same-as XWAYLAND0
> X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
> Major opcode of failed request:  139 (RANDR)
> Minor opcode of failed request:  7 (RRSetScreenSize)
> Serial number of failed request:  29
> Current serial number in output stream:  30
>
> This says to me that the syntax was ok, and it passed the initial
> edits, and tried to make that action.
>
> As you note, these are nearly identical displays.   The only difference
> I spot is 0 has 510mm, and 1 has 520mm.
>
> I did find some pretty dense discussion of mirroring displays of
> different resolution:
> https://www.baeldung.com/linux/mirror-monitors-different-resolutions
> but it's waaaaaaay to late in the day to try and parse that, especially
> with light grey print on white.
>
> As you note, a splitter might be less of a headache than this, which i
> sure thought would be simple.
>
> On 2024-01-01 16:25, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:
> Answering in reverse, if your projector and TV will have different
> resolutions then nothing is going to save you short of just making the
> Pi display at the lowest resolution of the two devices.
>
> Simplest solution is an actual HDMI splitter and then you don't have to
> think about it.
>
> But you can run this to get the current displays:
> xrandr --current
>
> Some posts suggest you can use the graphical screen setup tool (Screen
> Layout Editor) to overlap the monitors which will result in sharing
> content. Drag one monitor over the top of the other.
>
> On 2024-01-01 12:48, Neal Rhodes via Ale wrote:
>
> Trying to stay retired, but a fella can't never get totally away from
> the sea....
>
> Needing to setup a PI 4B to simply display words for an Irish Pub Night
> to both the onboard HDMI outputs.   One will go to a projector; the
> other to a 40" TV.  Both HDMI.      Both need to stay in Sync.
>
> I'm testing it now on a pair of 1920x1080 HDMI monitors. Both work fine
> as independent monitors.
>
> My notes on how to do this came from Bing AI, courtesy of Raspian
> Forums, and seemed pretty simple:
>
> Y_es, you can make both HDMI outputs on a Raspberry Pi 4 have the same
> output on Raspbian. Here are the steps:_
> [...]
See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo