[ale] Raspian Screen Duplicating - How Hard Can It Be?

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Mon Jan 1 20:18:59 EST 2024

Thanks for the reply.  Fair enough on resolution.   Frankly, VGA
resolution would be fine.   We're putting up big words.

I plugged in the 2nd monitor again after dinner, and the xrandr
--current now reports the 2nd HDMI as XWAYLAND2, not XWAYLAND1.

I tried your suggestion regarding using the Screen Layout Editor, and
indeed one can position the 2nd HDMI on top of the 1st.  Then what
happens is IF you move a window on the first screen, it shows up on
both.   UNTIL you let go of the mouse button, when it disappears.

I did get the xrandr --output XWAYLAND2 --same-as XWAYLAND0 to run to
completion with out errors, and got the same behavior.

Rebooted, and the 2nd HDMI was back to XWAYLAND1.

neal at raspberrypi:~ $ xrandr --output XWAYLAND1 --same-as XWAYLAND0
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
    Major opcode of failed request:  139 (RANDR)
    Minor opcode of failed request:  7 (RRSetScreenSize)
    Serial number of failed request:  29

This says to me that the syntax was ok, and it passed the initial edits,
and tried to make that action.

As you note, these are nearly identical displays.   The only difference
I spot is 0 has 510mm, and 1 has 520mm.

I did find some pretty dense discussion of mirroring displays of
different resolution:
https://www.baeldung.com/linux/mirror-monitors-different-resolutions
but it's waaaaaaay to late in the day to try and parse that, especially
with light grey print on white.

As you note, a splitter might be less of a headache than this, which i
sure thought would be simple.