[ale] Linux kernel

Jon "maddog" Hall jon.maddog.hall at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 14:36:40 EST 2023

Hi,

It has been a LONNNNGGGG time since I did any kernel work on any operating
system, but I will point out that scheduling a PROCESS (which has
associated with it memory, etc.) and scheduling a THREAD (which is very
lightweight and is typically "only" an additional core) are two different
beasts.

Unless you have your process swapped in and your memory set to go it will
not make any difference how many cores you have in the CPU.   On the other
hand I have seen programs where ONE process could keep hundreds of cores
(threads) busy.

Just sayin'

md