[Ale-study] Linux system administrator

William Bagwell William at alt-config.net
Sat May 3 20:21:06 EDT 2014

On Friday 02 May 2014, B. Robert wrote:
> Looking forward for any guidance

One bit of advise I did not see mentioned by others, is you *must* be willing
to go where the jobs are.

Live in the rural burbs myself (boonies to you city slickers) and not being
willing to drive to Atlanta killed my chances. Entry level Linux jobs are
few and far between and I have only seen *one* in ten years of lurking on
the ALE jobs list (ale-jobs at mail.ale.org) that was close enough to me to
bother applying for.

As Wolf Halton suggests, immerse your self in Linux! Don't even dual boot
with that 'other OS' unless you must. I have used Linux as my daily desktop
for almost 14 years (still considered a newbie in some circles) and have not
dual booted Windows in about 10 years... You however, should dual boot
multiple Linux disto's and or have a spare box (or two) to blow stuff up on.
I still have cruft in my /home directory that dates back to Mandrake 8.0
first installed in October 2002 so you can keep stuff virtually forever if
your a bit carefull.

Good luck!
--
William