[Ale-study] Linux system administrator

Mike Jaroch here2serveu at gmail.com
Sat May 3 09:49:47 EDT 2014

Was in collage for Computer security and forensics. NO Certs and the
company I worked for wiring boats closed. Had 2 quarters under my belt.
Mostly garbage as far as I was concerned. Since I had not degree they did
not send me out for an assistant network admin position but I heard about
it and went. The keys that got me hired. 1. the IT dept had no/low budget
and I claimed to be a Linux guy. Yes I was drilled on my interview to prove
it. 2. The Network admin knew I did not have the experience to take over
his position right away. Yes that was a big big big key. Do not over play
your hand gauge the IT guy you work for very carefully. Many are spinless
goofs who got the position because they can generate pretty reports that
make management look good  3. I was willing to work 2k a year below market.

As for the job hunting portion I found that if I am going to apply for a
position at a company I use linkedin and view the profiles of the HR + IT
and management team. Send in resume and cover letter, then wait a few days
and call. Viewing the profile of the people at the company ahead of time is
key. When they see you have view their profile they see your name at least.
Often they go view yours. Then the resume comes in and they see it and
remember you.

If you have a Red Hat cert SCAD in Savannah is looking for an Admin. Would
be cautious as I have seen the position posted a few times. Not sure if
they are bad to work for or if they just have not filled the position.

Get some certs. If you want access to my Linux+ practice tests let me know.
The only reason I started charging was to keep spammers out. I have gotten
a bit too busy to watch my site the way I should. http://here2serve.biz
here2serveu at gmail.com

Free Linux Training <http://here2serve.biz>

http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikejaroch