[ale] What are your thoughts on system transparency?

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 08:27:08 EST 2024

I was told that if I wasn't in Management by the time I was in my forty
that IT companies would think I wasn't a good engineer, and I almost bought
that.  At 56, I am a team lead, and it SUX!!! I am not a cat herder, and I
find it funny that people will lie to your face, my kids do a better job at
lying than the people I manage. I also hate that, I have to make sure we
are on time and on task.

So, when things started going to Cloud, I was worried that Sys. Admin were
a dying breed, kinda like what Dave Richie was talking about because of the
install of a Sys. Admin, you need either DevOps or a Full Stack Engineer,
but with the way AI is coming up, I see those going away.  The other thing
I am seeing is that datacenter engineering positions are coming back as
many are moving back from the cloud to on perm because cloud costs are like
rolling a D20, where on perm is a steady pricing guide. The other thing I
am seeing, so many of the young tech only study for the cert and can't do
basic troubleshooting or fixes. A lot of my time as a team lead is getting
on a call, going through dmesg, df, journalctl, and reading the error. When
you point out a simple fix, here's how to do it. They are looking at me
like I created fire. I am not kidding. Then when I ask how I know that, I
telling, I have notebooks of notes from the years where is I seen something
like that, I wrote down like my peers of the time took me too, in case it
happens again. I have also seen companies that have laid me off to get
three twenty something for my salary, have to rehire over and over because
the kids couldn't understand how I manage a small group of systems,
networking, and storage. ( I mean small it was 325 devices when I was laid
off ). One of them told the company it was impossible to take care of all
those by themselves. I laugh and stroke my grey beard that I have earned.
You can be either grass or bamboo in your career, I choose grass, so that I
can bend with the wind. Because sometimes in IT, it is a hurricane.

OS are changing, RHEL used to be great but with each new release it's
becoming a microos, a JeOS so they can run containers. Hard drivers are
missing. I see it with SuSE, they have a MicroOS.

I am watching what happens because the whole AI worries me because I have a
12 year old daughter who is learning to code, she wants to design games. I
don't want to tell her that when she is in college, that skill set might be
done by machine.

I still have 15 years before I can retire, despite having kids late in
life, but I know I will be active.

I am a jack of all trades and master of none.  One thing I started lately
so that I can have a piece of mind, Youtube video. I am playing with a
Small Board Computer, learning the in's and out's, and I am trying to teach
others. If it weren't for User Group, I wouldn't have the means to meet
others. If it weren't BBS, I wouldn't have the means to ask questions and
learn. The internet is because a weapon, so I will do what I can to help,
teach. Steve Litt, all I can say is share, as some has state, we thought we
didn't need Cobol or Fortran Programmers, but we still do. We might not
need a lot of Sys Admin, but will always need a few, those that can be Jack
of all trades are the one that will last.

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne
openSUSE -- Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member