[ale] What are your thoughts on system transparency?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Feb 27 13:02:16 EST 2024

Hi all,

I define system transparency as a system or subsystem with accessible
test points and adjustments AND the ability to see its sub components
and how they connect to each other. What are your thoughts on system
transparency?

Obviously, with my core competency and core business being
troubleshooting, I value transparency hugely. I have a feeling that my
viewpoint isn't universal, given how much software (and hardware and
machines) are not transparent (they're translucent at best, and often
opaque black boxes). Obviously, when the system is operating as
designed and desired, a black box is less intrusive than something with
exposed test points and adjustments and seemingly extraneous messages.

So what do you think?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt