[ale] #OT? Thoughts on encrypted token for ID connected to state or federal database...

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 13:46:37 EDT 2024

CAC card style signed certificates using  pin for access to the cards
private certs works well in many situations. If the gov issues ID cards
with fed and state level certs, some people will have their heads explode.
But a single ID card with drivers license that can be used as verifiable
authentication for nearly everything would be an upgrade from where we are
now. If a signed biometric capture was included, it would add a huge level
of "really hard to counterfeit" to the entire thing. So a fingerprint
and/or retina scan plus pin will make the card unique to a person and evil
person can't steal my card and beat the pin out of. They can still
blackmail and I don't have an idea on how to get around that.

The major downside is the level of effort to make it happen.

On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 10:16 AM William Wylde via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> How complex do you guys think creating an encrypted token connected to
> your state or federal ID for age verification purposes would be?   It seems
> like it would be trivial, seeing as how they all have verification systems
> in place already, and at least my state collects fingerprints when you get
> an ID or license.   I don't think it would be more intrusive than what they
> already have going on- and I think they could take the money to pay for it
> from the domestic spy apparatus.
>
> I doubt it would reveal any more information about your web habits than
> they already collect, but I could be wrong.  There's a lot of people on
> this list that are more cognizant about the ins-and-outs of this than I am.
>
> Thoughts?

> “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people
> always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can
> become great.”
>
> ― Mark Twain

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*