[ale] [ALE] Setting up DHCP with Wireless

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 11:49:30 EDT 2023

On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 12:38 PM Joey Kelly via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 19, 2023 12:33:04 PM CDT Chuck Payne via Ale wrote:
> > Alex thanks, I might try dhcp so here what I got so far
>
> Assuming your primary DHCP has a scope defined, have the wireless segment
> use
> another non-overlapping scope in the same subnet as the primary, running
> on
> the device you described.
>

> > As I told you, I have the Banana-R3 setup with OpenWRT
> > https://uglyscale.press/2023/09/13/setup-the-banana-r3-with-openwrt/
> >
> > And the ZimaBoard with pfSense
> >
> https://uglyscale.press/2023/09/17/how-to-setup-zimaboard-to-run-pfsense/
> >
> > So, I am grateful for the help, because again the R2 Pro will be OMV so I
> > have a nas.
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 12:03 AM Alex Carver via Ale <ale at ale.org>
> wrote:
> > > DHCP Relaying is more complicated than just DHCP service. Since you are
> > > already using this for testing purposes then having a dedicated DHCP
> > > service keeps your main DHCP pool clean.
> > >
> > > If you want something relatively simple to set up then just use DNSMasq
> > > as your DHCP server. It's nice and small and easy to configure.

> > > 2.5Ghz

> since

> DHCP
> Pro
> > >
> > > only

> > > geeky.

> > > pass

> > > footprint.

> latest
> repository

> wlan0.

> ARM

> So I

> is

> > > other

> that

> scripts

> the
> the

> > > devices,

> did

> board, so

> Joey Kelly
> Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant
> http://joeykelly.net
> 504-239-6550

Guys, thanks for the help.

Here is an update. I installed OpenWRT, which is weird as this board
doesn't have wireless. I can add Mini-PCIe or M.2 E/A key, but I will have
to do some research as to what works with OpenWRT.

So, after installing it. Found my issue, I am a bit of DA for this, Debian
( Armbian ) was seeing the four port lan as five

eth1, lan0 at eth1 ~ lan3 at eth1

I keep wondering why, and I keep wondering why nothing was working. Here is
why I am DA, I need to setup a brigde, ugh

root at styx:~# brctl show
br-lan          7fff.ca33fcc76e9c       no              lan2
                                                        lan0
                                                        lan3
                                                        lan1

That made a lot of sense, I then understood that I will need some iptables
so that wlan0 is the gateway for the device, that iptables will control the
flow, but for now.

Here a picture of what the Banana-Pi R2 Pro looks like.

https://uglyscale.press/2023/10/08/new-network/

Now I face two more bumps;

1) I need Ethernet over Power Plugs so that I can connect the router to the
office. I wish there was a Wireless to Plug, but a Plug is fine.  Any
recommendations are welcome.

2) I wanted Open Vault Media because I could use the sata on the board, but
OpenWRT doesn't see My SATA, I am not sure if it is because it's a SSD, but
I am going to try mechanical one later, it works great with a USB. I am
excited because now I can set up the NAS I want.

Thanks Alex, you recommend OpenWRT, at that time there wasn't a good image.
My skills are there yet to build an image, I am learning.

Thanks guys.

--
Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne