[ale] Linux kernel

Jon "maddog" Hall jon.maddog.hall at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 12:35:54 EST 2023

 "Well wait. If the original took 15:03 and the the new one took 15 minutes
less, then the new one took 3 seconds, which is an astonishing advantage.
How long did the original take?"

When I was teaching at Hartford State Technical College (1977-1980) we had
a "programmer" write a program for our PDP-11/70 running the RSTS/E
operating system.

When he ran his program (always at high priority) it took 10.5 HOURS to
sort 1306 32-byte records, and while his program was doing that all the
student programs (on the same system) would come to a grinding halt.  Of
course the students complained.

Because of a mandatory teacher's union I was prevented from re-writing the
program, but I described to a student how to re-write it to be more
efficient.

The program then performed exactly the same task in less than three minutes
at normal priority, so the other students did not even know it was running.

md