[ale] resizing Windoze bitlocker

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Dec 11 12:37:48 EST 2023

THANKS to Phil Turmel and  Chuck Payne for solving this for me!

Yup, bitlocker is just an encrypted NTFS file system.  On my laptop (and probably most recent hardware) the M$
"Trusted Computing" hardware is used to generate the encryption and decryption keys in a supposedly secure way.
This is why you're not asked for a password to unlock the decryption key.

I chose to use Windoze (and then take a shower) to turn off bitlocker.  Windoze then will decrypt the files on
the bitlocker partition that may take minutes or even hours.  Let Windoze continue running until it indicates
that it's done or corruption will occur.  See the following for details:

  https://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-device-encryption-in-windows-11.1424/#Two

Now you can shrink the partition under either Windoze or using GParted either on a standalone bootable memory stick
or GParted under Live Linux.  I chose to first try under Windows and to my surprise it shrank the partition as well
as the partition itself.

Installing Slackware Linux then was straightforward except ...