[ale] Maddog’s take on recent Red Hat source distribution changes

Niel Bornstein nbornstein at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 18:55:13 EDT 2023

I feel obliged, as a SUSE employee, to respond to a couple of things
(though I do not speak for SUSE etc etc).

There is a lot of misunderstanding about what SUSE is doing. SUSE believes
that it's important for everyone to have access to secure, transparent, and
reliable Enterprise Linux source that is available to everyone. SUSE has,
along with Oracle and CIQ (aka Rocky Linux) and other companies and
individuals who join the Open Enterprise Linux Association, announced its
intention to create a fork of RHEL's currently available source code. So
right away that's three of those clones merged into one, and we
welcome others. Further, it's important to remember OpenELA will provide a
code base for those clones, not a binary distribution. Each member of
OpenELA will contribute to the code to help ensure compatibility with RHEL,
and anyone will be free to compile and build their own distribution based
on that code. So I hope that meets your hopes, and I would encourage you to
join OpenELA to help us make it happen (https://openela.org/join/).

Of course SUSE will continue to sell support for SUSE Linux Enterprise, and
SUSE Liberty Linux (our RHEL-compatible distribution that has existed since
I believe 2006, called SLES with Expanded Support up until about a year
ago), and provide bug-for-bug compatibility between SLE and our community
distribution, openSUSE Leap. We've committed to spend $10 million towards
OpenELA, but of course you can imagine we spend a lot more than that on our
own distributions. And SUSE has indeed been around longer than Red Hat, 31
years now ;)

Niel