[ale] Maddog’s take on recent Red Hat source distribution changes

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 14:26:53 EDT 2023

I've always been in near laughing hysterics when the "logs aren't in text
anymore" argument gets made.
Um. Good luck reading anything off a hard drive without some kind of
interpretation!!!!

Used to be that data exchange was some hard-formatted string. Like 8bits, a
dot, 16 bits, a dot, 16 bytes, a closing sequence of 1011.  Don't try
finding that as I just made it up. But now we also have JSON apparently
just because we have WAY more bandwidth and CPU time to parse 16kB just to
extract the 2bytes we needs.

So crap changes. In the larger picture it gets better. In the close up it
usually involves complaints from people with no personal experience related
to the events that prompted a change.

Now, in the US, we all drove on the right. At a point in the past, that was
not the situation and something happened that instigated the formality
change. Probably a tragedy given the history of our law makers being far
more reactionary than visionary.

I kind of see systemd as a successor to whatever Canonical was cooking up
as an init replacement (can't recall the name). It had problems and lots of
traffic was generated with discussions about those problems. Now it's
abandoned. Kind of like the old a.out binary format getting replaced with
elf.

Maybe someday some new pile of smart folks will figure out how design a
filesystem that can handle any size file with the same efficiency so the
only visible difference is really big files take the same resources as the
same size in small files.

Maybe someday Wayland will finally surpass the old X. Maybe someday we'll
all look back and argue over "That was the year of the Linux desktop (No.
Not Enlightenment 4527 :).

Systems. I found out having a common set of rich tools to manage startup,
daemons, processes, etc., made my sysadmin life easier than having to dig
into 65 different startup scripts for basic boot up understanding. The fact
that it can also better handle things like cloud junk, and groups, and
virtual systems has been icing on a very large cake. Perfect? Nope! Better
than what I started with in 1992? YES! Better than Irix? Oh, hell yeah!