[ale] Good Laptop for Linux these days

jon.maddog.hall@gmail.com jonhall80 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 4 22:03:13 EDT 2023

The biggest thing, in my mind, would be to find a drive that would read them and the interface to that drive.  Another issue is whether the floppies were soft sectored or hard sectored.

There are services for transferring data off various types of media.

https://www.salvagedata.com/data-recovery-nh/?source=google&medium=gmb&campaign=nh&partnerid=ACC4515/

https://www.dataretrieval.com/locations/nh/manchester

You can find one hear you, or send your disks away.

They are kind of expensive, so you probably really want to have your data.

OR

You can find someone who has a working CP/M system that uses the same type of floppy (hard or soft sector) to try and get the data off by a serial transfer using kermit or some other serial protocol.   At 19.2 Kbps it does not take too long to get the files that fit on a 5.25" floppy disk.

You could reach out to Vintage Computer Club or go to a Vintage Computer Fair

Just some suggestions.

I happened to need the floppy disk drive to make some boot floppies once upon a time and it worked out sell for my friend who had some DOS disks.   I just mounted them as a DOS file system on Linux.

md