[ale] AT&T fiber and IPv6?

James Sumners (ALE) james+ale at sumners.email
Fri Feb 11 17:06:06 EST 2022

Earlier today AT&T attached some fiber to the pole directly across the street from my driveway. I’m sure it will take them another month or two to activate the line, but I want to go ahead and solicit some knowledge from you folks.

Currently, I’m on Comcast (plain residential). I despise the business, but their network people are top notch and have rolled out a nice stable IPv6 network. They assign my WAN interface a `/128` and allow network assignments via a `/64` or `/60` prefix delegation over DHCPv6. The `/60` allows me to create multiple VLANs in my house for things like IoT devices separate from my primary devices.

Does anyone have experience with AT&T’s IPv6 implementation? Would switching to them be mostly transparent in this regard? Are there any “gotchas” that I should be aware of?