[ale] Missing photo

jon.maddog.hall@gmail.com jonhall80 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 27 16:42:25 EDT 2021

Leam,

Actually "Hall" is my last name.  "maddog" (always all lower case, even at the beginning of a sentence) is a nickname, and typically used all by itself.   I keep it just to remind myself not to lose my temper....although I admit that it gets harder and harder to remember not to lose my temper.

I am fairly sure that we have met.  Your first name is very familiar and in the early days of Linuxworld I was fairly prominent in helping IDG put it together.   I was at all the Linuxwords.  Santa Clara, San Jose, Moscone and (on the East Coast) Javits.

I was also to a lot (if not all) of the Atlanta Linux Showcase events (including the disastrous one in Oakland, California that was a month or so after September 11, 2001) and the Linux Expos that were in Raleigh.

And in all of those I am happy to say I never had to wear a Tuxedo.

As a side note, in the early days of computer tradeshows everyone showed up at the booths in business suits (male and female).   Standing for hours on the show floor in uncomfortable clothing and shoes was brutal.  The venues sometimes offered padding underneath the carpeting to help the marketing and engineering people staffing the booth....but of course that was "extra" and many booths did not have it.

As shows like Uniforum started to specialize in Unix, I tried to convince our marketing people that "No one trusts a person in a suit to know anything technical", but they INSISTED that everyone dress up in suits.   And this was true of every company, including Sun.  Even as the customers (and particularly in Silicon Valley) came dressed in t-shirts, shorts and sandals.

Then one event the people from IBM came in dressed in with embroidered golf shirts, slacks and comfortable shoes.

At the next event ALL of the booths had people dressed in golf shirts, slacks and comfortable shows.....because (after all) if *IBM* does it, then it MUST be ok!

md