[ale] Missing photo

jon.maddog.hall@gmail.com jonhall80 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 25 15:29:00 EDT 2021

I am sure that there are many people that are not represented in that row of pictures:

Alan Turing - considered to be the father of computer science, broke the enigma code, cut two years off WW II, saved an estimated 14,000,000 lives.

Dr. Maurice Wilkes - Head of the EDSAC Project (first computer that could store its own programming in its own memory); credited with creating microcode, credited with creation of subroutines

Ken Thompson

Dennis Ritchie

Douglas McIlroy - Head of the department that hired Ken and Dennis, conceived of pipes and filters, wrote some of first Unix commands to demonstrate their use, credited with the creation of macros.

Vint Cerf - Considered to be the Father of the Internet

Sir Tim Berners-Lee - Considered to be the Father of the WWW

Richard M. Stallman - started GNU project and FSF

There are many, many more.

The Computer History Museum (CHM) has a "Hall of Fellows", where they induct three people every year.

https://computerhistory.org/hall-of-fellows/

About the year 2005 I started thinking that it would be a shame if either Bill Gates or Steve Jobs got inducted into the Hall of Fellows before Linus did, so I got online and nominated Linus for induction.    Then I forgot about it.

Two years later I got a telephone call from the CHM that Linus had been selected for the year 2008 and could I help CHM convince Linus that he really wanted to attend the ceremony (which he normally hates) to receive it.

I told them I was very happy that Linus had received the award and I would try to convince him to show up....but no promises.

I started to look at their web pages, and got an idea.   I called up Linus (who by that time knew he had been inducted) and asked him if he would go.  "I would have to wear a Tuxedo", Linus said.   "I hate that".

"I know, but you would also get to turn the crank of a full-size replica of the Babbage Difference Engine, and see it compute" I said.

"I will go", Linus said.   And he did go.   And he did crank the engine.  All was good.

And to this day neither Bill Gates nor Steve Jobs have been inducted....but The Woz made it in early.

And now you know the rest of the story.

md