[ale] Remove systemd network handling

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Sep 23 08:23:31 EDT 2021

On Thu, September 23, 2021 8:02 am, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:

[snip]
> Unfortunately, systemd seems to be killing Linux as a separate entity.
> While the kernel is still there, Linux is becoming little more than a
> buried layer of "hardware interface to virtualization layer". With
> containerization, the OS can largely go away for many projects. Whether
> that's a win or a loss depends on your perspective, but it is a
> transition.

In $DAYJOB we're using BuildRoot for our embedded Linux solution(s).  We
were migrating from a Debian-based solution (which included systemd).  I
don't *mind* systemd (per se), so I decided to see how much space it would
take to add SystemD to the rootfs.  It, um, doubled it, from 6MB to 12MB!
Note that the device I'm on only has 64MB of flash, total, split between
kernel, rootfs, and user data, so 6MB is a significant chunk of that space
just to add some fancy initscript work (and probably tons of services I
don't actually need).  So I went back to busybox-init, which, honestly, is
all I need and it works just fine.

> Leam

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745