[ale] IP over USB

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Sep 13 11:21:28 EDT 2021

The 1000 base-tx standard does auto-MDIX. Slower connections generally do not, so look for an added "feature" if the connection will be less than 1 Gbps. IME, you'll need a cross-over cable (or tiny adapter for the rj45) to make direct connections on those.

On 9/13/21 10:16 AM, Phil Turmel via Ale wrote:
> Yes, Ethernet.  All of the cheap USB3 ethernet devices I have support
> auto-MDIX, so no, crossover is likely not required.
>
> If you do no setup, most distros will automatically recognize the
> adapter and attempt DHCP, falling back to Link-Local IPv4 addresses.
> With the two machines side by side, that is probably sufficient.
>
> I would define static IPs w/o gateway in a netplan yaml file,
> matching on the Mac ID of the adapter.  That would make SSH happier
> (known hosts entries).  (I like Ubuntu's netplan.io configuraton
> tool.)
>
> On 9/12/21 3:16 PM, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
>> Thanks Phil,
>>
>> 1) I assume by "patch cord" you mean "ethernet cable", right?
>>
>> 2) Must it be a crossover cable?
>>
>> 3) How do you set up the ip address and other networking on the
>> two adapters?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> SteveT

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.