[ale] Any ham radio operators among us? Linux in the shack?

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Mon Oct 18 01:52:02 EDT 2021

On 10/17/2021 11:15 PM, Allen Beddingfield via Ale wrote:
> I was wondering if there are any other ham radio operators on the list?

There are several.

> If so, I'm curious what Linux applications you make use of in the shack for logging, digital modes, or anything else interesting?

I'll have to admit that though I used to run Linux in the shack,
nowadays I'm heavily into contesting, and I'm running Windows, as N1MM+
covers a lot more contests, out-of-the-box, than any Linux contest
loggers I know of.

Back when I was running Linux in the shack, I was using Xlog for daily
logging, and tlf or yfktest for contest logging.  I was also a
maintainer for the Alinco DX-77T section of Hamlib (Hamlib is a library
for controlling radios, rotators, and other ham computer-controllable
hardware.  Most Linux apps that need to interface with radios use it.

> Also, problems dealing with RFI from PCs and power supplies?

I'm using an Astron analog power supply, so I don't have much problems
with RFI from the power supply.  I've mostly had to deal with RFI the
other way, with RF in the shack affecting devices connected between the
PC and the radio.  That's been dealt with by the selective application
of cables with ferrite beads build in, or by the user of snap-on ferrites.

> I've got a fairly new PowerSpec from Microcenter that jumps me from S3 to S9  of noise floor on 20m when switched on

Some of that may be coming from cables from the computer, which might be
handled by snap-on or wrap-around ferrite chokes (Palomar Engineers has
a nice kit).  Some of my issues were helped by tying my radio and
computer hardware to a common ground bus.  Also check the cables on the
monitor.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net | For the wise man, doing right trumps