[ale] Linux on 6GB Dell notebook?

neal neal at mnopltd.com
Tue Nov 16 22:54:49 EST 2021

thanks to all for the responses, which I am still wading through.  For clarity, I was not intending to slap linux on a 6gb dell notebook and hand it back to someone.  That's a recipe for having to be his tech support for the rest of my life.  No thanks.  There would be no statute of limitations on that.  I was thinking of handing him $100 for his notebook, and reformatting it to have linux for my own use, and he can use that to buy the new one with 8gb and the ssd. Yes, theoretically I COULD take his notebook apart, do the disk swap, attempt more virus scanning.   And maybe get it back together, and maybe NOT.   And maybe still have some recurring virus.   ANd forever be his tech support.  See above. regards, Neal Sent from phone, please excuse spealingk.
-------- Original message --------From: Neal Rhodes via Ale <ale at ale.org> Date: 11/15/21  8:23 AM  (GMT-06:00) To: ale at ale.org Cc: neal at mnopltd.com Subject: [ale] Linux on 6GB Dell notebook? So, Thanks for the advice on helping friend with virus scan on their 6gb Dell notebook.I think that got it to the point of occasionally running ok, but also often needing more than 6GB for Win 10, and starting to thrash.It's one of those Dells without a RAM door on the bottom.The recommendation from HL computer was to swap the drive with a 500GB SSD, and virus scan the new drive.  They wanted $260 for that.I'm seeing Walmart is peddling an HP I3 with 8GB RAM, 220GB SSD for $270 this week.Which is actually a better proposition.  Friend's finances are limited.I'm debating telling him I'll give him $100 for the old notebook and reformat it for linux.   Likely Ubuntu.Guessing Ubuntu will run fine in 6GB.It's been a couple of years since I did that.  Are there new hurdles with doing a fresh install?  EUFI?  What about audio?  Audacity? TeamViewer? Ultimaker Cura?   Zoom?regards,Neal_______________________________________________Ale mailing listAle at ale.orghttps://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/aleSee JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists athttp://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo