[ale] [EXTERNAL] okay, totally OT - free win 10 virus scan?

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Mon Nov 8 09:07:14 EST 2021

Thanks muchly.

The bootable Kaspersky found nothing.

I renamed the folder with the OfficeClickToRun.exe.  Still 100% disk
busy.  rebooted.

It ran badly, but barely enough to download/install Malwarebytes and run
that. Which found 42 files apparently related to one malware and
quarantine.  Rebooted again.

Still sluggish, but slightly better.  Was able to download/install Avast
and do a deep scan, which took overnight, but found nothing.

The patient is now booting reasonably ok with low disk usage.

My working theory is that with only 6GB, the original virus got the disk
so busy that the MS Antimalware scan was never able to complete, and was
always running, making the disk even more busy.

regards,

Neal