[ale] Time for this Grey Beard to stir up some stuff

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Sun May 30 18:24:51 EDT 2021

Snrk. I got mentioned in this thread, so I guess I have to chime in.

I'm just a simple programmer, and I have the freedom to use the tools I
want.  I've got a fairly hirsute .emacsrc which gets installed in ${HOME}
everywhere I go.  I'm comfortable in vim and I use it, mostly to view files
rather than edit them.  Alas, I can never remember the right keystrokes for
real regex searching in emacs, so I often wind up editing a file in vim
when I need to do something semi-complicated. For _really_complex stuff,
emacs has a wonderful ad-hoc macro facility ( on my emacs it's <ctrl>X-(
and ctrl-X-) to create, and <ctrl-X-e to execute).  I know that vim has a
multi-window mode, but I've never really figured out how to use it
effectively. With emacs, OTOH, I am constantly opening and closing windows
to different parts of the file I'm editing and other files.

All in all this is basically baby goose stuff -- you tend to love the thing
you see first.  I still miss the Microsoft Macro Editor which shipped with
the Microsoft 8086 Assembler ("masm") in the late '80's.  That was my first
encounter with a truly full-featured editor.

-- CHS