[ale] [EXTERNAL] Re: Time for this Grey Beard to stir up some stuff

Allen Beddingfield allen at ua.edu
Thu May 27 11:02:27 EDT 2021

This is pretty much exactly my situation.  I've been doing Linux/Unix sysadmin work for a couple of decades.  When I started, I was coming in with DOS, OS/2, and Netware experience, so I was used to an editor similar to what was available there.  The first time I opened vi, I had to kill my session to get out of it, and I used pico for a while.  Finally, I slowly picked up enough vi to move over to that for basic work.  Over 20 years later, and I still pretty much know the very basics of vi.  For anything complex, I break out  my old sed and awk book.  One of my co-workers is an emacs user, but he is also the type of guy who pretty much has all the command line options for must utilities committed to memory, and uses perl instead of bash shell scripts.
Allen B.

--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer