[ale] Time for this Grey Beard to stir up some stuff

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed May 26 16:56:31 EDT 2021

Good Afternoon my fellow Grey Beards,

So I have noticed that more and more post teaching people to do stuff with
config or anything on the CLI, are using nano.

Why in Gods name would you teach them that. Is VI or VIM so hard. I gave up
on Emacs ( My first editor by the way ) years ago, but if you worked on
FreeBSD, you had vi. If you worked on Solaris, you had vi. Linux has vi.

I have come to love VIM, I do most of my edits in vim. I enjoy color syntax
in vim.

I get the joke that exit is hard if you don't know how to do :q! or :wq,
but Emacs was so much harder with crtl-x something, something.

Anyway, every time I see nano, I want to scream, "You kids don't know
anything. Get a real editor."

People who don't know the magic of doing things like %norm $T.D, to delete
everything after the period. Or the beauty of using sed to find and
replace. Truly are missing out.

--
Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne