[ale] [ALE] So the winner is?

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu May 20 19:23:34 EDT 2021

On 5/20/21 6:18 PM, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:

> There's certainly no 1 "right" answer, but assuming **every** business should be deploying applications to cloudy service providers isn't a "right" answer either.

I agree, but for a large number of places, not having infrastructure bills is a better financial decision. It is also a better supported, and can be a more secure and reliable option. Most workloads aren't on bare metal. But if you're not running on bare metal, then you're already on someone's virtualization. With AWS/GCE/DO, you're running on someone's virtualization. With a VPS hosted in a datacenter, you're running on someone's virtualization.

Are you building your own DC, or are you trusting the third party to hire people who can swap drives and replace cables? You're outsourcing, and that costs. Plus you have the initial hardware bill to pay, and annual support. Try getting a return call from some of the hardware or software vendors. Earlier in this thread we talked about that exact issue.

I'm suggesting those of us who are more experienced leap into the near future. AWS has the market share for cloud. If you think companies are going to make their stacks less secure and more failure prone, then put your expertise into helping the next generation of sysadmins/devops/whatever learn from your experience. Unless there is a significant and totally out of the blue cataclysmic event, the future will keep moving towards the cloud for the next decade or two. It would really be bad for those of us who have learned hard lessons not to share them.

Leam

--
Site Reliability Engineer  (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)