[ale] [ALE] So the winner is?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed May 19 15:59:35 EDT 2021

On 5/19/21 3:33 PM, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:
> My goal is to move my desktop to the RPi.

Many things work fine on a r-pi v4, but many things do not.  Try to do video editing - I dare you.  ;)

If all your desktop needs to support is web surfing and perhaps ssh from time to time, then a r-pi can do that, mostly. Also great for A/V playback.  My mpd servers have never been happier.  Scripting devel is probably fine, including running mariaDB or postgres.

Things I would NOT run on a Rapberry Pi:
 NFS server
 DLNA/Plex server with transcoding
 Video editing
 Audio editing
 Compiling any languages
 Java - how can you have 32G of RAM and a 10th gen Core i7 on a rPi for java development?
 VM host
 Remote desktops
 VPN server

I don't know how well/bad something like Ansible will work. It would probably be fine with the CLI interface.

Of course, the $50 buy-in for a R-pi v4 including case and PSU means you can try all sorts of things with little risk. A r-pi v4 could always be re-deployed in the den for media playback.  I use r-pi v2 and v3 for that. Works fine.