[ale] Slightly OT: PI/Raspian Mesh Network Strategy?

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Fri Jun 25 10:39:40 EDT 2021

So considering the following Physical layout:

Business Comcast

regular untinted Window in Building we can get Cat6 to

100 feet of parking lot

Storage Building with power and overhang to protect from rain

150 feet of grass/trees - could run Cat6 wire easily

Tent selling German beer with credit card readers needing Wifi (do I
have your attention now?)

And assuming we'd like for people to be able to buy beer, and we have a
modest budget for networking, are there reasonable mesh networking
products that would work?

I have never put in a mesh network; if you read the fine print, they
seem to assume all the nodes are clustered around a central node, not
strung out in a line.   (i.e. no backhaul)

I was initially advised to research ESP32 boards, but the paint doesn't
seem quite dry on those.  More of a Proof-of-Concept than a real
internet sharing strategy.

OTOH, efforts to do that with Raspberry PI does seem like a real thing,
eg

https://github.com/binnes/WiFiMeshRaspberryPi/blob/master/README.md

Which is extra handy for us, since we put up about a dozen PI units a
people's homes for the Virtual Studio music thing, and aren't using them
as much now.

Has anyone does this and have results to report?

regards,

Neal