[ale] Slightly OT: Thrilled with 4AllMemory.com replacement

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Jun 12 18:06:56 EDT 2021

My last PC build was a Ryzen and about $450.  A month after I got all the parts, RAM prices dropped 50%.

Bet I can find the $800 4MB SIPP RAM I bought around 1993 here somewhere. OS/2 ran really well in 8MB of RAM, but most systems only came with 4MB at the time.  I truly believe that's why we have Windows today and not OS/2.  MSFT knew the hardware market better than IBM.

On 6/10/21 9:13 AM, Jerald Sheets via Ale wrote:
> Now that’s strange.
>
> I’m going back a ways, but the last few PC/Linux machines I built
> were both nearly 3k, and that’s dating back into the 90’s. I guess
> you have beer tastes while I waste money.  :-D
>
>> On Jun 9, 2021, at 8:52 PM, Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> My first 16M dimm was deal of the month $499. The second was $79 a
>> mere 14 months later. The third one, 16 months later was free with
>> a $50 scanner.
>>
>> I've had really good customer service from MicroCenter. BestBuy is
>> at the opposite end of that spectrum. I won't set foot in there
>> ever again.
>>
>> I don't like to think about what I've spent on hardware over the
>> years. I could be in a far larger house. The old saying "every
>> computer I want is $5000" is no longer true for me. The last time I
>> spec'ed out a box for me it was nearly $14k! Ok. So rackmount
>> servers are overkill with dual Epyc CPUs and a total boat load of
>> RAM, NVME, and a V100. But it's what I want!

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.