[ale] Hijacking my own IP

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Jun 11 11:53:30 EDT 2021

I have a HP printer and Linux device with the same IP address on a network.  I have no control over the printer.  I'm trying to figure out how to effectively use arping to "hijack" my own IP on this subnet.

My remote connection to the device is dropped at random times.  I'm guessing maybe someone is printing. This causes the firewall to update its arp cache, send a packet to the HP instead of my device, and I get a RST on my end because the HP said, "I have no clue what this is."