[ale] [EXTERNAL] Re: Rant: internet for the stupid

Allen Beddingfield allen at ua.edu
Thu Jun 3 10:55:20 EDT 2021

Oh, I agree.  FTP is a relic, but it still exists, and their still is a standard for it.  Another small annoyance I find is the telnet client not being installed by default with most distros, Windows, etc...  I don't think I have used it for actually telnetting to anything since the 1990s, but I'm in the habit of using it to check ports are responding (telnet dbservername 3306, or telnet webservername 443).  I know there are multiple other modern tools I could use, but it is just learned behavior.  Same with wget as opposed to curl - it works, and I don't see a need to use something else.

--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer
allen at ua.edu