[ale] [EXTERNAL] Re: Re: Time for this Grey Beard to stir up some stuff

Allen Beddingfield allen at ua.edu
Tue Jun 1 09:34:35 EDT 2021

So, how do you get from one type of operation to another?  For example, I have 500-600 SLES servers.  99% of them were loaded by booting the ISO image, stepping through the installer, bootstrapping against config management, and pushing a base configuration to them.
That is where the "cookie cutter" setup stops.  Various firewall ports have been configured, directories have been made, "stuff" installed, disks added and mounted, virtual hosts configured, nfs shares configured, local users and groups added, etc . . .
Some of these started on SLES 11, were upgraded to 12, then 15.  Our idea of config management is pushing patches, deploying rpm-based applications, pushing config files, and remote execution operations.
I don't see a path to get from what I have to what you have, without just blowing everything away and starting with a clean slate - which will never be an option.
Allen B.

--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer