[ale] Time for this Grey Beard to stir up some stuff

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Mon Jul 26 12:58:22 EDT 2021

Jim wrote: "My biggest concern with computers in cars is if I will EVER get
license to fix/replace/upgrade as I choose."

Same with computers *not* in cars, to bring it back closer to ALE for a
minute. I started watching some videos by Louis Rossman after searching for
some Macbook hardware info some years ago. He does amazing things with
computer repair, including re-soldering a chip or capacitor and fixing it
for cheap when the Apple store or Apple authorized repair shops basically
want to replace the whole internals for half the cost of a new computer (or
sometimes more). Apple and a lot of computer manufacturers have been going
out of their way to make this insanely difficult lately. If I recall, in
one instance there was a very generic chip that they got the manufacturer
to make with a couple of pins switched and sell only to them to prevent
independents from accessing them. Tractor manufacturers, car manufacturers,
and lots of other products have been jumping on the bandwagon. "Right to
Repair" is a movement to pass laws to limit these practices. The Biden
administration made a statement supportive of Right to Repair and there has
been some movement at the state level. He actually got a video reply
directly from Steve Wozniak supporting his work on the issue, and how being
able to work on devices was so instrumental to his own knowledge growth as
a kid.

His channel is a mix of direct hardware repair instruction, Right to Repair
reform stuff, and some local NYC politics directly related to how they
treat small local businesses like his and commercial real estate
landlord/tenant stuff. Politics come up w.r.t. these issues but he's not a
left or right guy in general, just a guy honestly enthusiastic about being
able to help people repair their computers and frustrated at things that
keep him from doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup/featured

Strangely, when I went to look for the URL, I discovered I'd been
"magically" unsubscribed from his channel somehow. I'm sure it was just a
simple bug or maybe a mis-click ;-)