[ale] Another bites the dust

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Wed Feb 24 10:10:04 EST 2021

Working with other volunteers overseas on the Jacktrip/Jamulus Raspberry
PI low-latency Audio, it becomes apparent that they have to deal with
totally different economics.

I can drive to MicroCenter and get a couple of PI 4B 2GB for $25-$35
each.    In England, they can't.    They say there are no electronic
parts retailers, and their costs are much higher.

They can buy ZeroPI from China for $13 each, and get them shipped for
$8.    It would cost me waaaaay more to get them shipped here.   I think
my cost to buy for of them was about $25 each.  Hard to justify the
limits of ZeroPI when for a few bucks more I can get a PI 4 with HDMI,
multiple USB, etc.

When you are trying to equip a community choir, their cost models are
totally different.

Although I still get a bit chuffed when I go to MicroCenter and find the
price has changed over night, and I still have to beg them to let me buy
2 units for the same price each as one.

regards,

Neal